Behind The Ear Hearing Aids
Behind The Ear (BTE) Hearing Aids are the world’s most common hearing aid style as they service the broadest and most general types of hearing loss. These instruments are recognisable from their compact case which sits right behind the ear. This small casing houses the hearing aid itself as well as the battery, electronics and controls for operating the aid. Located inside the ear is a customised ear mould which is connected to the case by a clear, plastic tube. This piece of tubing transmits the sound from the case to the ear mould, allowing the wearer to stay connected to the world around them.
In recent years, Behind The Ear Hearing Aids (BTEs) have become even smaller. These super small Open Fit BTEs gives the wearer great sound quality as the thin tubing is attached to the hearing aid and leads sound down to the inside of the ear canal.
There are many wonderful features that come with your BTE Hearing Aids. Our products allow direct streaming of phone calls and media to the hearing aid, music mode to help the wearer enjoy listening, tinnitus masker and a program setting which automatically determines when more help is needed to combat background noise. The also come in rechargeable versions, making them easier to use without having to fiddle with replacing batteries – just to name a few.
Advantages of BTE Hearing Aids:
- Durable with high degrees of water resistance in modern models
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Great for smaller ear canals
- Easily control volume
- Suitable for all degrees of hearing loss
- Can have larger batteries for longer usgae times
- For all ages
- Often contains telecoil for connection to landline phones and loop systems
Disadvantages of BTE Hearing Aids:
- Potential space limitations for eyeglass wearers
- Can feel uncomfortable or stifling
- Old models or incorrectly fitted ear moulds can cause large amounts of feedback
- Might be more prone to wind noise – dependant on microphone placement and design.
Who does this hearing aid suit?
These hearing aids are ideal for any severity of hearing loss whether the patient is suffering from an extremely mild through to profound hearing loss. The smaller Open Fit BTEs are especially beneficial to those suffering from milder degrees of hearing loss.
If you would like more information about Behind The Ear hearing aids or any other hearing aid type, talk to the friendly and experienced team at Value Hearing today.